How do you keep pushing?

I asked Ms. Catherine Burks-Brooks the question I was struggling with yesterday, how do you keeping pushing on and fighting for a cause that has been a problem for hundreds of years? She told me that she fought because she knew that she was being treated wrong and that she wouldn’t stand for it any longer. She also told me a story about her “bumping into white people all her life”.  This story was about her never moving on the sidewalk when a white person was walking towards her. Her answer helped me understand why people continued to fight. Seeing the injustice and experience disrespect is a motivation to fight. I can see how actually experiencing this can push you to fight and may be the reason I can’t imagine how they’ve continued is because personally I haven’t experienced something like Mrs. Brooks. I’ve seen it, but not felt it. Maybe this is the key to fight. 

-Sara 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignorance, Hatred, Love, & Cartoon Network

The First Time I Cried in 10 Years

The Harsh Reality