"They still called me nigger"


Today I ask Roscoe Jones how the danger and trauma from fighting in the Vietnam War help him reflect on the Civil Rights Movement. Before I got to even finish my question Mr. Jones replied, "It wasn't no different...they still called me nigger". I was shocked at this response and I wasn't sure how to reply to this piece of information. I find it disappointing and demoralizing that a man that chose to fight for a country that always fought against him still didn't get the level of respect he deserved. I think Mr. Jones is a brave man for sticking through in the marine corps and I was honored to be given a chance to meet him.

- Mohamadou

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignorance, Hatred, Love, & Cartoon Network

The First Time I Cried in 10 Years

The Harsh Reality