Learning people’s experiences during this movement

Today we met a lot of activists and it was interesting to hear them look back at that time. It’s a reminder that the Civil Rights Movement actually wasn’t as long ago as I perceived it to be. One that stood out to me the most was Mrs. Catherine Burks-Brooks. She was one of the freedom riders. She was so funny and cool when we talked to her. In her mugshot, she looks so fearless and strong like she didn’t care what happened to her because she knew she was fighting for equality. When she was finished talking to us I just had to hug her and thank her because I thought she was the coolest and shined positivity. I aspire to be that fearless and strong. 

-Asha Johnson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignorance, Hatred, Love, & Cartoon Network

The First Time I Cried in 10 Years

The Harsh Reality